The Brooklyn Nets’ guard Caris Levert suffered a brutal looking foot/ankle injury during the team’s eventual 120-113 loss to the Timberwolves this past Monday. The injury looked to be a severe setback for a player in Caris Levert who was enjoying a breakout season in his third year.
However, after being taken to the hospital and testing, the Nets’ medical staff diagnosed Caris Levert with a right foot subtalar dislocation with no fractures and moderate ligament damage. Further, they were quite confident he would be back this season. It’s the rare best case scenario.
In the following video, I detail:
- What a subtalar dislocation is
- How rare and fortunate of an injury it is
- The timetable for return
- Any long-term risks for Caris Levert
Where we’re going, we don’t need roads:
Thanks for watching and until next time. If you liked the piece, subscribe to the email list on the sidebar, join our facebook group, YouTube channel, and follow us on twitter or IG to never miss an update.
- Bibbo C, Anderson RB, Davis WH. Injury characteristics and the clinical outcome of subtalar dislocations: a clinical and radiographic analysis of 25 cases. Foot ankle Int. 2003;24(2):158-163. doi:10.1177/107110070302400210.
- de Palma L, Santucci A, Marinelli M, Borgogno E, Catalani A. Clinical outcome of closed isolated subtalar dislocations. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2008;128(6):593-598. doi:10.1007/s00402-007-0459-8.
- Hoexum F, Heetveld MJ. Subtalar dislocation: two cases requiring surgery and a literature review of the last 25 years. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2014;134(9):1237-1249. doi:10.1007/s00402-014-2040-6.
- Jungbluth P, Wild M, Thelen S, Fritz B, Windolf J, Hakimi M. [Functional and subjective results following subtalar dislocations]. Unfallchirurg. 2009;112(12):1034-1038, 1040. doi:10.1007/s00113-009-1568-3.
- Jungbluth P, Wild M, Hakimi M, et al. Isolated subtalar dislocation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010;92(4):890-894. doi:10.2106/JBJS.I.00490.
- Lasanianos NG, Lyras DN, Mouzopoulos G, Tsutseos N, Garnavos C. Early mobilization after uncomplicated medial subtalar dislocation provides successful functional results. J Orthop Traumatol. 2011;12(1):37-43. doi:10.1007/s10195-011-0126-2.
- Prada-Cañizares A, Auñón-Martín I, Vilá Y Rico J, Pretell-Mazzini J. Subtalar dislocation: management and prognosis for an uncommon orthopaedic condition. Int Orthop. 2016;40(5):999-1007. doi:10.1007/s00264-015-2910-8.
- Ruhlmann F, Poujardieu C, Vernois J, Gayet L-E. Isolated Acute Traumatic Subtalar Dislocations: Review of 13 Cases at a Mean Follow-Up of 6 Years and Literature Review. J Foot Ankle Surg. 56(1):201-207. doi:10.1053/j.jfas.2016.01.044.