Los Angeles Lakers guard Lonzo Ball suffered a mild ankle sprain in practice Friday when he came down on someone’s foot. He’s officially been listed as questionable for the Lakers game against the Sacramento Kings.
In the following video, I broke down:
- The injury itself
- His timetable for return
- If it will affect him on the court
- Any long-term consequences such as potential for re-injury.
Thanks for watching and until next time. If you liked the piece, subscribe to the email list on the sidebar, join our facebook group, YouTube channel, and follow us on twitter or IG to never miss an update.
- Gribble PA, Bleakley CM, Caulfield BM, et al. 2016 consensus statement of the International Ankle Consortium: prevalence, impact and long-term consequences of lateral ankle sprains. Br J Sports Med 2016; 50:1493.
- Gribble PA, Bleakley CM, Caulfield BM, et al. Evidence review for the 2016 International Ankle Consortium consensus statement on the prevalence, impact and long-term consequences of lateral ankle sprains. Br J Sports Med 2016; 50:1496.
- Doherty C, Delahunt E, Caulfield B, et al. The incidence and prevalence of ankle sprain injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective epidemiological studies. Sports Med 2014; 44:123.
- Anandacoomarasamy A, Barnsley L. Long term outcomes of inversion ankle injuries. Br J Sports Med 2005; 39:e14; discussion e14.
- Vuurberg G, Hoorntje A, Wink LM, et al. Diagnosis, treatment and prevention of ankle sprains: update of an evidence-based clinical guideline. Br J Sports Med 2018; 52:956.
- Fong DT, Hong Y, Chan LK, et al. A systematic review on ankle injury and ankle sprain in sports. Sports Med 2007; 37:73.
- Waterman BR, Owens BD, Davey S, et al. The epidemiology of ankle sprains in the United States. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92:2279.
- Roos KG, Kerr ZY, Mauntel TC, et al. The Epidemiology of Lateral Ligament Complex Ankle Sprains in National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports. Am J Sports Med 2017; 45:201.
- Seah R, Mani-Babu S. Managing ankle sprains in primary care: what is best practice? A systematic review of the last 10 years of evidence. Br Med Bull 2011; 97:105.
- Konradsen L, Bech L, Ehrenbjerg M, Nickelsen T. Seven years follow-up after ankle inversion trauma. Scand J Med Sci Sports 2002; 12:129.
- Schiftan GS, Ross LA, Hahne AJ. The effectiveness of proprioceptive training in preventing ankle sprains in sporting populations: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Sci Med Sport 2015; 18:238.
- van Ochten JM, van Middelkoop M, Meuffels D, Bierma-Zeinstra SM. Chronic complaints after ankle sprains: a systematic review on effectiveness of treatments. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2014; 44:862.
- Hall EA, Docherty CL, Simon J, et al. Strength-training protocols to improve deficits in participants with chronic ankle instability: a randomized controlled trial. J Athl Train 2015; 50:36.
- Faizullin I, Faizullina E. Effects of balance training on post-sprained ankle joint instability. Int J Risk Saf Med 2015; 27 Suppl 1:S99.
- Cruz-Diaz D, Lomas-Vega R, Osuna-Pérez MC, et al. Effects of 6 Weeks of Balance Training on Chronic Ankle Instability in Athletes: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Int J Sports Med 2015; 36:754.
- van Rijn RM, van Os AG, Bernsen RM, et al. What is the clinical course of acute ankle sprains? A systematic literature review. Am J Med 2008; 121:324.
- Fulton J, Wright K, Kelly M, et al. Injury risk is altered by previous injury: a systematic review of the literature and presentation of causative neuromuscular factors. Int J Sports Phys Ther 2014; 9:583.
- Verhagen EA, Bay K. Optimising ankle sprain prevention: a critical review and practical appraisal of the literature. Br J Sports Med 2010; 44:1082.
- Dizon JM, Reyes JJ. A systematic review on the effectiveness of external ankle supports in the prevention of inversion ankle sprains among elite and recreational players. J Sci Med Sport 2010; 13:309.
- McGuine TA, Hetzel S, Wilson J, Brooks A. The effect of lace-up ankle braces on injury rates in high school football players. Am J Sports Med 2012; 40:49.
- McGuine TA, Brooks A, Hetzel S. The effect of lace-up ankle braces on injury rates in high school basketball players. Am J Sports Med 2011; 39:1840.
- Burks RT, Bean BG, Marcus R, Barker HB. Analysis of athletic performance with prophylactic ankle devices. Am J Sports Med 1991; 19:104.
- Hübscher M, Zech A, Pfeifer K, et al. Neuromuscular training for sports injury prevention: a systematic review. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2010; 42:413.
- Owoeye OBA, Palacios-Derflingher LM, Emery CA. Prevention of Ankle Sprain Injuries in Youth Soccer and Basketball: Effectiveness of a Neuromuscular Training Program and Examining Risk Factors. Clin J Sport Med 2018; 28:325.
- de Vasconcelos GS, Cini A, Sbruzzi G, Lima CS. Effects of proprioceptive training on the incidence of ankle sprain in athletes: systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Rehabil 2018; :269215518788683.